Thursday, January 28, 2010

Voted #1 in pet care in SC Times!

Thank you to everyone who voted making Mike's Pet Care #1 this year.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Friday, January 15, 2010

Help Ban The Exotic Pet Trade

Call For The Federal Government to Ban The Exotic Pet Trade. Click and sign. I did.

Victory! Puerto Rican Residents Win First Battle Against Monkey Farm.

Victory! Puerto Rican Residents Win First Battle Against Monkey Farm.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Propylene Glycol Antifreeze is Far Less Toxic

Propylene Glycol Antifreeze is Far Less Toxic (and Less Tasty)

Ideally, consumers should purchase the far less toxic propylene glycol antifreeze products, which are biodegradable, anti-corrosive, and recyclable, and work just as well as the more highly toxic ethylene glycol antifreeze. Propylene glycol antifreeze is less likely to cause fatal poisoning, and it doesn't taste like candy the way ethylene glycol does, so pets and children are far less likely to consume it.

Antifreeze ingestion treatment protocal for your pet

Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is sweet in taste and is poisonous to your pet. Even a tablespoon of the liquid can be toxic or fatal to a small dog. It progresses in three stages. First symptoms can appear within 30 minutes, and involve an appearance of drunken behavior with stumbling, staggering, vomiting, extreme thirst and frequent urination. It can cause permanent kidney damage and death. If you observe your pet licking anitfreeze get him/her to your vet immediately. If you cannot get your pet to a vet right away you can induce vomiting. In order to induce vomiting, the animal must be fully conscious, breathing without difficulty and free of seizures. Feed the dog blackened toast: This will help neutralize some of the toxins, while also absorbing some of the poison. It’s much easier to induce vomiting when there is substance present in the stomach. Achieving emesis in a dog with only fluids in the stomach is more difficult. Give 3% Hydrogen Peroxide: Within five minutes of feeding the toast, give the dog one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per each 5 to 10 pounds of body weight.