Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pet Care & Pet Sitting in Laguna Beach

I had an interesting appointment in Laguna Beach, CA yesterday. It was a physical therapy session for a Min Schnauzer that has a lower lumbar bulging disc & is having problems getting up the hundreds of stairs they have at their home. I consulted with the owner and through the vet's instructions I attempted to perform some ROM (range of motion) P/T. Although the dog was territorial at first, I did get him to be compliant with patience and a muzzle. We did some ROM standing up and it was quite successful. This leads me to the reason for my post. I am looking for more medical oriented clientele in Laguna Beach and wanted to post that information. My goal is to make this doggie's life a little less painful...

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

San Clemente Times Article

I want to thank Norb Garrett for running an anniversary story on Mike's Pet Care this last week!

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cocoa mulch can be deadly to dogs

As spring approaches, people will start to tend their lawns and gardens. Many will consider using cocoa bean mulch as a fertilizer. Made from spent cocoa beans used in chocolate production, cocoa bean mulch is organic, deters slugs and snails, and gives a garden an appealing chocolate smell. However, it also attracts dogs, which can easily be poisoned by eating the mulch.
Cocoa beans contain the stimulants caffeine and theobromine. Dogs are highly sensitive to these chemicals, called methylxanthines. In dogs, low doses of methylxanthine can cause mild gastrointestinal upset (vomiting, diarrhea, and/or abdominal pain); higher doses can cause rapid heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures, and death.
Eaten by a 50-pound dog, about 2 ounces of cocoa bean mulch may cause gastrointestinal upset; about 4.5 ounces, increased heart rate; about 5.3 ounces, seizures; and over 9 ounces, death. (In contrast, a 50-pound dog can eat up to about 7.5 ounces of milk chocolate without gastrointestinal upset and up to about a pound of milk chocolate without increased heart rate.)
If you suspect that your dog has eaten cocoa bean mulch, immediately contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435). Treatment will depend on how much cocoa bean mulch your dog has eaten, when the mulch was eaten, and whether your dog is sick. Recommended care may include placing your dog under veterinary observation, inducing vomiting, and/or controlling a rapid heart beat or seizures.